How do I book?
- Just drop Anna a line or give her a call (01877 382600) to check Ashley’s availability. The Portrait Session fee is due at time of booking.
How does the order process work?
- After the shoot you will receive a link to your web gallery from which you can access all our frames, canvases and other products.
- We'll send you lots of advice and examples to help you envisage how your pictures could be displayed.
What about the weather?
- Living in the British Isles we do have to put up with the weather but many people are surprised to hear that the light on a grey overcast day is far better for photography than a cloudless sky - skin tones are softer, shadows less harsh and no squinting! Ashley has been shooting virtually every day for nearly 20 years and he can count on one hand the number of times the weather has meant he can’t do his job. Most days the rain will pass - if the skies are unkind we will either move inside, or wait for it to ease off.
Some friends want a shoot too. Can we do it together?
- In our experience portrait shoots are more successful if kept to one family. The distraction of having friends around can be too much of a distraction for the children! However, we can sometimes offer a discount, or economies on travel costs if you have friends nearby who have a shoot on the same day.
- If you want a group shot of all the kids together eg cousins or similar - then no problem - opt for the Group sitting.
What should we wear?
- It is important for the sitter to wear something they are comfortable in – practically and aesthetically - and for the clothes to be a true representation of the character. Strong patterns and logos are best avoided as it draws the eye in the finishes portrait. It can help to co-ordinate the family in colours which are tonally sympathetic without being too "matching".
Ashley will advise you if something is not working from a photographic point of view but we are not “stylists” and would not be so rude as to presume our fashion sense is any better than yours!
What if we need to change dates?
- Of course we appreciate that life is unpredictable and in those circumstances we will always be as accommodating as we can be, but we ask that you give us as much warning as possible. If you do need to cancel, your fee may be used towards re-arranging the shoot for a later date. In the event of last-minute or repeated changes we do reserve the right to charge a re-scheduling fee. Inclement weather is not a valid reason for cancellation.
How soon will I see my photos?
- We aim to have your complete web gallery uploaded within two weeks of the shoot. Although it may be a bit longer at busy times of year. To give you an early taster, we put a small selection on our Blog or Facebook page within a few days of the shoot - let us know if you're prefer that this didn't happen.
Do we have to attend a “viewing”?
- You can choose and order directly from the web gallery – or we are always at the end of the phone should you need any advice. Some people find it very useful to visit us to see the frames and other products in the flesh and feel the quality in their hands. We'll make you a coffee and talk you through all the options for the best ways to display your images. To "view" or not to "view", the choice is yours.
Will you use the pictures from our shoot on your website?
- Being able to show our images – whether through my portfolio, my Blog, Facebook, a brochure, magazine article or competition is hugely important. If I can’t show my photos, I can’t promote my business. Having said that, we understand the sensitivities of photographing children and pride ourselves on our discretion. If you do not wish your photos used for our marketing please let us know and we will mark your file accordingly - if we don't hear from you we'll assume it's ok.
Do I get the digital files?
- When you order any print or product after the shoot we include a low resolution file of that picture suitable for use on social media such as Facebook and it will have an unobtrusive watermark in the corner. High resolution digital files suitable for the creation of prints and products are available to purchase from your web gallery. Once the total spend for your shoot has reached £1200 we supply you with a USB containing all the images in high resolution.
How can I pay?
- We accept BACS payment or cheque. Credit card payments can be taken through PayPal (fees apply).
© Ashley Coombes, Epic Scotland Ltd